Sunday, August 10, 2008

Self Doubt

This Wednesday is the sprint triathlon I was planning to do this year.

I abandoned those plans a few weeks ago when I realized that it was going to be almost impossible for me to train for the swim while I'm also teaching Spinning and training for the half marathon in October. My friend/occasional swimming coach at the JCC concurred that I might be best off waiting...focusing on my running training right now, getting the half under my belt and using the winter to build my swimming endurance.

But today I ran into another friend/fellow Spinning instructor at the bike store and she and some friends are doing the tri this Wednesday. (She's also doing a full ironman in 2 weeks...and she's 45!!!) She convinced me that I could TOTALLY do the tri, EVEN THE SWIM. Just take your time, she said. Dog paddle, breast stroke, back stroke...whatever it takes.

Problem is I already volunteered to cover another instructor's Spinning class this Wednesday evening. Why? Because I doubted myself and figured there was no way I could do this tri this soon...and I listened not only to that little doubting voice inside my head but I conveyed it to someone else who began to doubt me, as well.

Lesson learned.

I'm going to see if I can get someone to cover me on Wednesday and just show up for the freakin' tri. Of course, you realize I'm only going to half-heartedly look for a sub because that little voice inside my head is still telling me I can't do it.

Lesson maybe not learned just yet.

No comments: