Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I know, itSPIN a while... ;-)

It's been way too long since I blogged. I've been busy at work (yay!) and running like crazy (training for 1/2 marathon) and teaching lots of Spinning classes (a little extra $$ to buy Morgan's books!). So, sadly cooking has fallen by the wayside, along with blogging about it.

Eating, however, has NOT fallen by the wayside. I'm hungry ALL the time. As anyone who's training for an endurance event will tell you, you have to eat...A LOT...to fuel your engine. The challenge is making every one of those calories count. So I've been eating lots of lean protein (chicken and fish); lowfat dairy (milk and yogurt) and plenty of whole grains (barley, brown rice, etc.). Lots of veggies and tons of watermelon (it's so good right now)....and I'm still hungry!

And even though I know I'm burning it all off, the scale isn't moving right now. I'm at the original goal weight I set for myself, but I had readjusted it once I got there. I want to lose 7 more pounds, but there is NO WAY I can lose it while I'm training.

I suspect at some point I will lose without trying, even with the increased food intake, but I'm not to that point yet.

Last week I didn't stick to my run schedule because of taking Morgan up to school, so I moved things around a little and did my long run of last week on Monday of this week. Six miles.
Monday: 6 miles; took a new route, hated it. Sidewalk ended and dumped me onto the unpaved shoulder of a busy road at least 3 times. Ugh. Too many weird dips and gulleys on the path, too, including one area that basically went INTO a wetland. So, note to self...not running THAT route again. But it was a cool night and once I got past the weird parts of the terrain, I got my rhythm and felt good.

Tuesday: Spinning

Wednesday: Tonight will be short 3.5 mile run. I would normally have another short run this week, but I'm racing a 10K on Saturday as my long run for this week, so I'm tapering off and not running after tonight.

Thursday: Spinning and weights

Friday: Rest, stretching

Saturday: 10K (6.2 miles)

Sunday: Biking - probably 25 miles or more

I've also really cut back on drinking. I allow myself one night a weekend that I can have some wine or a cocktail or two. Usually it's Friday but this week it will probably be Saturday because I don't drink the night before a race. (Sometimes I'll stretch it to two nights if there's a special occasion, but in general I have really cut back on the empty calories from alcohol.)

I've also been trying to swim a little; I have been fortunate enough to get some great coaching from my buddy Ernie. Ernie has headed up the aquatic program at the JCC since my kids were little and he's just an all-around great guy who's passionate about swimming. Every time I go to swim laps, he comes over and helps me with my stroke and gives me pointers. For free. Love that! (That and he's TOTALLY ripped...um...yeah.)

I haven't been on the scale in weeks...I just don't see the point given that I can't really "diet" right now. In fact, I think I might wait and weigh in after the half marathon is over. Should be interesting.

Today's blog brought to you by the word "persnickety" and the number 14.

No comments: