Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Running behind"...this week's training update.

Well, I'm a mile behind on my half marathon training.

And although I was cautioned by a seasoned runner (Sarah Reinersten, no less) not to "cram", I think I need to compress my training cycle to 5 days instead of 7.

The weather was nothing short of spectacular this past Saturday, when I had intended to get up early and get my 8.5 mile run out of the way. But the two cocktails I had the night before had me feeling a little rough around the edges. It seems I've become the proverbial "cheap date" since my weight loss, and very little alcohol not only has the "desired effect" but also leaves me with a hangover. Ugh and double ugh.

Add to that the LONG list of things I had to do to prep for a dinner party at Chez Spinnerpom that night, and...well...by the time I cleaned the house and shopped for exotic ingredients at the Indian grocery store, it was 3:00. I honestly almost said "fuck it"...but I sucked it up and went for it.

I ended up running 8.75 and only the last half mile or so were uncomfortable. So I felt really good about that, and the 1,010 calories I burned made my "cod poached in coconut curry" and the yummy banana wontons I made for dessert almost TOTALLY without guilt!

Anyway, I'm getting back on track. I've been teaching a LOT of Spinning classes (a few extra $$ to pay for the daughter's books and tuition) so I'm having trouble finding time to run.

I taught Sunday morning, Monday evening and Tuesday evening, and am on the schedule for Friday at 6 am and again on Sunday at 9:30 am. Well, I can't be accused of not cross-training!!

Anyway, I have to get cought up, so I got up and ran 4 miles this morning as soon as it was light out (which is getting later and later--bring on Standard Time!) I'm going to try to get my long run (9.5) in on Thursday, even if it means sneaking out of the office early. That means I can do my next long run on Tuesday (10.5 or so) and be close to back on track.

Wow, that ten mile mark is a tough one. Kinda like turning 40. Or 50. ;-)

No comments: