Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Solo Ride

I don't often ride alone, at least not long distances. I'm almost always either with hubby or with friends when I'm on my bike for any length of time.

But this past Sunday morning, hubby and the boychild were playing golf down near the state line, and it was another in a string of perfect days. My bike had just been rescued from the shop for a new derailler and bottom bracket (don't ask) and was riding like a champ.

So I suited up and rode from my house to a friend's house in Royal Oak; according to mapmyride.com, about 15 miles in each direction. I normally head west from my house; the scenery is pretty and there are tons of lakes and a little less traffic. But this ride called for me to head east and my only choices were one road that was very busy (a primary east/west thoroughfare with two lands in each direction) or a road one mile north that was less traveled but had no shoulder in most places and was only one lane in each direction - meaning drivers would have a hard time passing me and I'd have no choice but to ride in the traffic lane.

Although I intuitively preferred the road to the north--it was residential, wooded and rolling--I knew I'd be safer (ironically) on the busier road.

I was right. I kept to the right in the right hand traffic lane; it was early enough that drivers were able to easily move to the left lane to go around me.

I flew. I averaged about 19 mph the whole way there and it felt great. I hit about 24 mph for a few miles at a stretch. It felt GREAT. There was something really empowering about riding alone on a busy road. Weird, huh?

The ride home was a little tougher; bit of a headwind dropped my average speed to around 16, so it took me a little longer.

But it felt great to ride alone, and I won't hesitate to do it from this point forward...unless someone wants to offer to come along. ;-)

No comments: